What is LXLE?
LXLE is a GNU/Linux operating system based on Lubuntu which is an official Ubuntu OS using the LXDE desktop enviroment. It is designed to be a drop-in and go OS, primarily for aging computers. Its intention is to be able to install it on any computer and be relatively done after install. At times removing unwanted programs or features is easier than configuring for a day. Our distro follows the same LTS schedule as Ubuntu.
In short, LXLE is an eclectic respin of Lubuntu with its own community based support.
What Is A Respin?
A respin is a remastered version of a major Linux distribution tailored for a specific purpose or group.
- Stick with LTS only releases of Ubuntu to ensure hardware & software support.
- Based on Lubuntu Linux to ensure a fast capable desktop for aging computers.
- Keep desktop and other major software updated to the latest stable version.
- Provide a complete drop in and go replacement for XP, Vista, 7 Starter/Basic.
- Cover most users everyday needs by providing an excellent set of default apps.
- Add useful necessary mods and tweaks, to improve performance & functions.
- Develop a beautiful modern looking intuitive desktop for anyone to use easily.
- Save system resources and spend them wisely on capable, feature rich apps.
Our development cycle is quite simple. We stick with LTS releases of Ubuntu/Lubuntu. Our new versions of LXLE correspond with the updates provided to the LTS release. In other words, our versions between LTS releases are the 6 month incremental updates.
Example: LXLE 12.04.1, 12.04.2, 12.04.3, 12.04.4, etc